Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ricotta Stuffed Tomatoes



I have two confessions to make.  First, I have yet to think about what I'm making at Thanksgiving.  Yes, I have the turkey, but that is about it.  By this time I have usually planned a menu (appetizers, vegetables, potatoes, stuffing, bread, and dessert), and I've purchased all of my supplies.  This year the turkey stands alone. And the worst part is who knows when I'm going to make it to the store?  I have a very busy work week ahead of me.  Hopefully the stores won't be bare come Wednesday.

My second confessions involves stuffing, or dressing, or whatever you want to call it; I'll eat it but I don't like it.  I make it every year because everyone else at the table seems to enjoy it, but not me.  Every year I try something different hoping that "this will be the recipe", but I have yet to find a winner.  Perhaps this year, in homage to Mississippi, I will try cornbread-based dressing and cross my fingers.

So keeping with the theme of NOT planning for Thanksgiving: ricotta stuffed tomatoes.  They are great served with simple buttered pasta and a green salad, or would be a perfect finger-food for an upcoming holiday party.  Here I use compari tomatoes (they are larger than a cherry tomato but smaller than a plum), but I would recommend cherry tomatoes if serving them as an hors d'oeuvre.  The tomatoes can be easily stuffed a day early and quickly cooked before serving.  Hey, maybe put some out while the turkey cooks?

The first step involves cutting off the tops of the tomatoes, which I save to use in pasta or a salad.  Or if you have a strange cat like I do, give her a taste.  Yes, my cat loves tomatoes.  She runs into the kitchen at the sound of me chopping, hoping I am cutting tomatoes and hoping that I will give her some.

Ricotta Stuffed Tomatoes
1 lb campari or cherry tomatoes
¾ cup ricotta cheese
¼ cup mozzarella cheese
½ a beaten egg
½ teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon chopped fresh oregano

Preheat the oven to 400º F.

With a paring knife, cut the tops off the tomatoes and carefully remove the pulp and seeds. Set these hallow vesicles aside.

In a medium sized bowl mix together the cheese, egg, salt, and oregano.  Fill each tomato with the cheese mixture and place on a rimmed baking sheet.  Cook until the cheese is warm throughout but the tomatoes are not collapsing, 10-15 minutes depending on the size of the tomatoes.  Without removing the tomatoes, turn the broiler on to brown the cheese slightly.  This will take 3-5 minutes, depending on how close the tomatoes are to the broiler.  Do not walk away; at this point you could very easily burn the cheese.  

Remove the tomatoes from the oven and cool slightly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment