Tuesday, November 9, 2010

And She Can Bake Too! A Slice of Lemon-Anise Cake?

I realized the other day that I have yet to post a "dessert-baking" recipe.  This was something I needed to remedy pronto, especially considering my general love for cooking really started with a specific love for baking desserts.  My mom taught me; I helped by stirring, measuring, and licking the bowl. And I still have a penchant for cookie dough (I recently found away to safely - no raw eggs- satisfy my cravings; chocolate cookie dough balls by Joy the Baker).  By 4th or 5th grade I had free range of the kitchen; I whipped out batch after batch of cookies, all on my own.  I started with your basic chocolate chip cookie, then moved onto biscotti, cakes, and eventually yeast breads.  I loved, and still love, the magic of baking; edibles go into the oven one way and come out completely transformed.


This is a very simple recipe.  A quick bread that involves a little stirring, and that is about it. To top it all of this recipe is also relatively low in fat; only ¼ cup of canola oil.  It goes great with tea, or maybe toasted with a little bit of homemade raspberry preserves?  Yum.


Lemon-Anise Cake
1½ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
Zest of two lemons
2 teaspoons anise, chrushed with a mortal and pestal
2 large eggs
½ cup milk
¼ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla


Preheat the oven to 350°C and grease a 8½ by 4½ by 2½ inch loaf pan. 


In a large bow combine the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, zest, and anise.  In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and ingredients and stir just till combined (lumps will remain).  Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading the batter to create a smooth top.  The pan will be around half full.  

Place the pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.  Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then turnout onto the rack and let cool completely.  





No comments:

Post a Comment