Monday, November 29, 2010

Creamed Asparagus Soup

Thanksgiving is over and the left overs are gone.  The gluttony has subsided.  I cooked for a good six hours, but the reward, in the end, was worth it: buttermilk roles, sweet potato gratin, cranberry relish, cornbread stuffing, turkey, creamed corn, all topped off with pumpkin pie, whipped cream, and a glass of port.  I also love the leftovers.  I didn't have to cook for three days and I was able to indulge in Thanksgiving dinner over and over again.  Unfortunately, in the midst of my cooking marathon, I forgot about the asparagus with shallot vinegarette.  I only just remembered as I scooted my chair out and prepared to sit at the Thanksgiving table.  By this point the feast was calling, so my little asparagus stalks had to wait.



Creamed Asparagus Soup
2 lbs asparagus
½ cup shopped shallot
2 garlic cloves chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 sprigs marjoram, tough stems removed
3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Rinse the asparagus and snap off the tough lower stems.  The tough lower portions can be combined with celery and onion to make a great vegetable stock for this recipe.

Over medium heat in a heavy bottomed pan, warm the oil.  Add the garlic and onions and
sauté until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile bring a medium sauce pan of water to boil, add the tender asparagus tops, and simmer for 5 minutes.  Drain and set aside.

Add the onion garlic mixture, the asparagus, the marjoram, and salt to a blender or food processor.  Blend until smooth, about five minutes.  Transfer the pureed mixture back to the sauce pan.  Add the pepper, salt, remaining broth, and buttermilk.  Bring to a simmer, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment