Monday, December 31, 2012

Eggy Banana Pancake


Three years ago I started getting migraines.  If I was lucky, I would get one every once in a while, but if I was unlucky, I would get one every day for a week.  Medicine helped with the pain, but left me just as incapacitated: light headed, shaky, and weak.  As I started to become more conscious of my migraines, I noticed they were usually triggered by low blood sugar; they would begin around 10 or 11, right when my breakfast wore off. 

For the first time, I began to strongly connect what I ate to how I felt.  I researched the correlation between carbohydrates, insulin, and blood glucose.  I learned that my “healthy” breakfast of whole grain cereal and low fat milk may not be what was best for my body.  I started simply enough, switching my breakfast from the all American favorite, cereal, to fruit and nut butter, and I immediately noticed a change.  My new, seemingly light breakfast could carry me through to one or two o’clock, without a worry to my blood sugar or a resulting migraine. 

I have since changed my diet further, eliminating grains entirely, along with legumes, refined sugars, and most dairy products.  And I haven’t had a full blown migraine in over two years.  I certainly have my slip-ups, and I make dietary exceptions for special occasions such as holidays and vacation, but if I make too many exceptions in a row, I can feel the migraines slipping back in.


On the weekends, when I have extra time, I like to prepare something more complex for breakfast.  In a way it reminds me of home and growing up; my Dad, without fail, would cook pancakes on Saturday and eggs on Sunday.  Below is my recipe for a grain free, dairy free, added sugar free, pancake. And don’t worry, it’s tasty, I promise.  The key to the recipe is patience.  If you cook the pancake too fast or flip it too soon, it will fall apart.  I typically use a mixture of “pumpkin-pie” spices for extra flavor, but lemon zest, vanilla extract, or berries would also be nice additions.  Serves one. 



               Eggy Banana Pancake

               1 tablespoon oil or butter
               1 ripe banana
               1 large egg
               ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
               Pinch of cloves
               Pinch of cardamom



Warm a heavy frying pan equipped with a tight fitting lid on medium to medium low heat for 10 minutes.  Once warmed, add the oil or butter to the pan.  Meanwhile, mash the banana in a bowl.  Add the egg to the mashed banana and whisk together.  Finally add the spices to the mixture and stir to combine.

Pour the pancake batter into the pan and cover with a lid.  Cook the pancake for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and cook for five minutes longer.  Next flip the pancake and cook for an additional five minutes uncovered.  Remove from the pan and serve warm.  I typically eat my pancake with a tablespoon of hazelnut butter, but my husband likes his plain.  You could also top with honey, maples syrup, or jam.

1 comment: